Question: "I have big problems with greasy hair. I have to wash my hair everyday and then by the end of the day it’s greasy again. Can you tell me how to get rid of it? I have been trying all kinds of shampoos but so far nothing works. Please help! Cindy"
Cindy’s problem: Over active or very active sebaceous glands resulting in an excess of sebum in her hair.
Sebaceous glands produce and secrete oily matter, called sebum, for the purpose of lubricating hair and skin. - This is nature’s moisturizing treatment!
When the sebaceous glands are behaving properly, the result is healthy, shiny hair. The problem arises when there is just too much of a good thing. Lots of natural oil production may be the way your body is designed or something may be causing it to produce more than the normal amount of oil. Fluctuating hormone levels - sometimes caused by birth control pills or stress - often affect oil production.
- Select a shampoo that states on the label that it is formulated for oily hair or choose one that is extra cleansing or ‘clarifying’.
- Stay away from moisturizing shampoos as they are designed to leave a certain amount of oil in your hair as a protection against dryness.
- It will be necessary to shampoo your hair everyday in order to remove the oil.
- For more thorough cleansing, leave the shampoo on your hair for a few minutes before rinsing it off.
- Believe it or not, the WAY you shampoo is important! When your hair feels oily or unclean, you may feel the need to scrub. However, vigorous scrubbing and massage will only serve to stimulate the sebaceous glands, causing them to produce more sebum. Instead, be very gentle while you are shampooing. Simply lather and run your finger-tips lightly over your scalp. Then rinse and repeat the process.
- Avoid brushing your hair often or vigorously. This will not only stimulate the sebaceous glands but also will carry the oil throughout the hair.
- If you feel the need for a conditioner, - even oily hair can have dry ends because of chemical processing, sun or wind, - use a light conditioner and apply it only to the dry ends of your hair. Rinse thoroughly.
Removes chlorine and styling product build up.
LC Legacy Daily Shampoo
contains twice the cleansing power
while still being gentle
and color safe!
Carita Purifying Shampoo Combination/Oily Hair