Some of us are born with soft, fine silky hair. It can be wonderful for those who prefer to wear their hair straight and flat but those who prefer fullness in their style are in an endless battle. If you see yourself here, you need some options. You need help in getting fullness and texture in your hair.
A cutting technique called texturizing helps to create fullness. The perimeter of this style was left as is. No length was taken off there. Throughout the interior of the hairstyle, length from one half to one inch was trimmed. The hair was point cut – with the point of the shears pointed toward the head at angle instead of parallel. This created a jagged edge that helps add texture to the style. After the interior length was determined, the entire style was texturized, creating shorter hairs among the long throughout the style. The shorter hairs help to push the long hairs out and create body. They also add a stylish ‘messy’ appearance when styling product is added.
In this style, Amplify by Pureology was applied to wet hair. The hair was blown dry creating as much body as possible. After the hair was completely dry, a flat narrow flat iron was used to cause the hair to stand out from the head. As a finish, Texture Twist was scrunched in to separate the hairs and to give it a ruffled appearance.
The same haircut, trimmed much shorter looks like this. The bangs a smoothed into place at the side while the rest of the hair is flat ironed for height. Texture Twist was applied to give it a finished look.
Texturizing can take these two forms. The first image shows texturizing done with the points of straight shears. Small pieces of hair are selected and cut out freehand.
The second image shows the use of texturizing shears. The shears are inserted into the hair at an angle. When closed, the shears do not remove an entire section of hair but only some of it.
As shown above, fine, soft hair was given body by:
- The use of specialized cutting techniques
- The use of proper styling products created for fine soft hair
- The use of a narrow flat iron in conjunction with the styling products. The heat and the product work to produce volume.
Other methods of adding body are:
- Hair color. Permanent hair color helps to add volume to soft hair. The hair color, especially lighteners, causes each hair shaft to swell, thus making it thicker and more manageable.
- As a finish to any hairstyle, use hairspray. If you have fine, soft hair, hairspray is your friend.