A Bible Message To Use With This Trick:
Genesis 28:11-16 (King James Version)
11And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep.
12And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it.
13And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;
14And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed.
15And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of.
16And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.
Summary: The story of Jacob's ladder gives us an example of how Jesus became the mediator between God and man.
And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending upon it.
Jacob must have been really tired. I don't think I could fall asleep on stones for a pillow. What an unusual dream he had! He saw a ladder so tall that it reached to heaven. The angels of heaven went up and down on the ladder. God was at the top of the ladder and He promised Jacob he would give him the land he slept on.
Many people try to find their own way to God. Remember the Tower of Babel? The people thought they could build a way to heaven. These attempts that start on earth all end in failure. Only God can provide a way to heaven.
God sent Jesus, His only Son, to be our way to Him. Jesus became Jacob's ladder, the pathway to God. Jesus said in John 14:6 I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. The only way to heaven is by faith in Jesus. He is the ladder that comes down from heaven to mankind and gives us a path to God.
The Effect: Take a rubber band and thread a borrowed wedding ring onto it. The wedding ring is sitting in the center of the band, but then slowly creeps up the rubber band — all by itself! You can then make it climb back down.
What You Need: A rubber band — not a real thick one, and a borrowed wedding ring.
This trick almost works by itself since the rubber band does the work!
1. Break the rubber band. You now have a long piece.
2. Borrow a wedding ring.
3. Thread the ring onto the rubber band, but stretch the rubber band (not all the way; about 12" between your hands) and keep most of the rubber band in your left hand. When you do this, you will have a long, loose piece dangling hidden in your left palm. The spectators won't see this as the back of your hands are towards them.
4. Your hands should be at the same level so that the rubber band is horizontal.
5. Make sure that the wedding ring is closer to right fingers, but not touching the fingers — about an inch away.
6. Raise your right hand and allow the ring to fall towards your left hand and say, "Anyone can make the ring fall down. But I can make the ring fall up!" Allow the ring to fall within an inch of your left fingertips.
7. Gently ease the grip on the rubber band with your left fingers allowing the rubber band to slide between your left fingertips. Don't worry; they won't see this. (You'll actually fool yourself the first time you do this!) The ring will move up the rubber band — as if it were on an escalator.
8. Return the ring, give the rubber band out as a souvenir and bow to your thunderous applause!