This moist, yummy cake is also perfect for summer and fall when there is a plethora of zucchini from the garden sitting around waiting to be used. It is quick and easy to make, so you’ll want to make it often when a dessert is needed. The green ingredients – lime, zucchini, and pistachio nuts – complement each other nicely for a great flavor.
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 ounces zucchini, finely grated
zest of 1 lime
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ounces softened cream cheese
2 cups powdered sugar
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup pistachio nuts, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray an 8" round cake pan with non-stick spray and line it with parchment; spray the parchment.
- Mix the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, zucchini, and lime zest in a mixing bowl.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix well, then pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.
- Remove from the oven and let sit 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a cooling rack; cool thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and lime juice until light and fluffy. If it is two stiff, add a teaspoon or two of milk.
- Frost the cooled cake and sprinkle with the pistachio nuts.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 337 Calories from Fat 132
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 39% Protein 5% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 4 g
Cholesterol 46 mg
Sodium 151 mg
Total Carbohydrate 47 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 13 g
Protein 5 g
Vitamin A 5% Vitamin C 11% Calcium 0% Iron 4%