I have adapted this recipe to the Instant Pot to save time, but it can be easily done in the slow cooker if you’re going to be away or don’t have an Instant Pot. It takes longer, but there is very little hands-on time and the end results are identical. Mashed potatoes are the perfect accompaniment as well as Irish vegetables such as Brussels sprouts, sautéed cabbage, or leeks.
4 pounds bone-in pork shoulder or pork butt
salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 sprigs rosemary
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
1 12 oz. can frozen apple juice concentrate
3 cups hottest tap water
4 medium onions, quartered and sliced
- Set the Instant Pot to the Sauté setting.
- Place the roast fat side down in the instant pot and brown; the heat will render enough fat to brown the other sides of the roast.
- Sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper and brown all sides.
- Toss in the garlic and rosemary; add the apple juice concentrate and hot water.
- Place the lid on the pot, set the valve to Sealing, and set to Manual for 60 minutes. When the cycle is done, release the pressure, open the lid, and add the onions.
- Place the lid on the pot, set the valve to Sealing, and set the pot to Manual for 8 minutes.
- When the cycle has finished, release the pressure and remove the roast and onions to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Pour the juices through a fine strainer, degrease them, add them to the pot, and turn the pot to sauté.
- Let the juices boil until they are reduced by half. Serve the roast pork with the juices and mashed potatoes as an accompaniment. Amount Per Serving
Calories 318 Calories from Fat 139
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 44% Protein 34% Carb. 23%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 90 mg
Sodium 103 mg
Total Carbohydrate 18 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 27 g
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 52% Calcium 0% Iron 12%