This dish is a nice change from most of the cabbage dishes you’re used to, and it’s pretty quick to put together. Stick pepperoni is generally available at most larger grocery stores. Don’t be tempted to use the thin sliced pepperoni for pizza; the chunks are what make the dish. The short cooking time insures that your cabbage is crisp-tender, rather than overcooked.
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, quartered and sliced
8 ounces stick pepperoni, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/2" thick
1 head cabbage, cut into wedges, and sliced into 1" pieces
1 cup double strength chicken broth (If you just have regular chicken broth, add a bouillon cube)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté setting and melt the butter.
- Add the sliced onions and let cook until they begin to soften.
- Add the pepperoni and stir until the chunks begin to brown (don’t be tempted to drain the fat, since that’s where much of the flavor is).
- Turn off the Instant Pot and stir in the cabbage and chicken broth; sprinkle with pepper.
- Cover the pot, turn the valve to sealing, and set the pot to manual for 2 minutes (yes, that's right - you don't want overcooked cabbage).
- When the cycle has finished, release the pressure, stir, and serve.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 192 Calories from Fat 129
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 67% Protein 16% Carb. 17%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 14 g
Saturated Fat 6 g
Cholesterol 26 mg
Sodium 797 mg
Total Carbohydrate 8 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 8 g
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 91% Calcium 0% Iron 6%