4 dried wood or cloud ear mushrooms
¼ piece ginger
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 large carrots
8oz can sliced bamboo
4 green onions
1½ cups chicken broth
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp white pepper
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp peanut oil
4 firm fish fillets (flounder or other fish of your choice)
¾ cup cornstarch
¼ cup peanut oil
- Place the mushrooms in a bowl and fill it with hot water until the mushrooms are covered. Let them soak for 30 minutes.
- While the mushrooms are soaking, prepare the other vegetables. Remove the peel from the ginger, dice it into tiny pieces, and set it aside.
- Peel the carrots and slice them on a diagonal into thin pieces and set them aside.
- Open and drain the can of bamboo and set it aside.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and dry them with paper towels. Then cut off and discard the base and about 1 inch from the top of each one. Cut the remaining stalks into small ½ inch pieces and set them aside.
- In a large cup or bowl, mix together the chicken broth, oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, salt, pepper, and sugar. Set this sauce mixture aside.
- In another small cup, mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and set it aside.
- Once the mushrooms have soaked, remove them from the bowl and squeeze out the excess water. Then cut them into thin slices and set them aside.
- Begin to prepare the fish. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Place the cornstarch on a plate or in another large bowl big enough to place the fish in.
- Rinse the fish fillets under cold water and then dry them with paper towels.
- Dip the fish in the egg, letting the excess run off, then place them in the cornstarch, coating both sides.
- Once all of the fish are in the cornstarch, in a large non stick pot or wok heat the ¼ cup of peanut oil on high. Once the oil is hot, add the fish and fry each side for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Then remove them from the wok and place them on paper towels to drain.
- Wipe out the wok and add the 2 tablespoons of peanut oil. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for 1 minute. Then add the carrots and stir fry them for 1 more minute.
- Add the bamboo and the cloud ear mushrooms and stir fry everything for another minute.
- Add the sauce mixture and green onions and bring everything to a boil. Then add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick.
- Place the fish fillets on a plate, pour the sauce on top and serve.
- Serve with fried rice. Makes 4 servings.