Before Peter Jackson brought “The Hobbit” to theaters, there were the three installments of J.R.R. Tolkein’s “Lord of the Rings”. In the “Fellowship of the Ring”, Frodo Baggins finds himself in possession of the evil ring of power. In their long quest, it is up to Frodo and the members of the fellowship which include Sam, Merry, Pippin, Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Boromir, to destroy the ring in the hopes of saving Middle Earth. Here are a few mistakes to look for while watching “Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring”.
· During the battle at the beginning, Sauron hits Elendil and throws him against the rocks. When he falls to the ground, Elendil’s helmet is on his head. When Isildur, his son, runs to his aide, Elendil’s helmet is on the ground to his left.
· Gandalf arrives and is driving his wagon. In a rear view of him and the wagon, there is a scarf hanging from the right side. It shows the wagon from the front and the scarf is on the left. Also during this scene, Gandalf is smoking a pipe in one view of him. In the next view, he is holding the reins of the wagon and the pipe is gone. It’s back again in the next view of him.
· When the hobbits are having a party for Bilbo, Gandalf’s hat appears and disappears at different times during the scene. When Gandalf gets the fireworks from the wagon, his hat is gone but when he sets the fireworks off, it’s back on.
· The group of hobbits arrive in Bree and go to the Prancing Pony to find Gandalf. Merry returns to the table where the other three are sitting with his pint in tow. Pippin then gets up to go and get his own pint. The scene cuts to an overhead view of the Prancing Pony after the hobbits first notice Strider/Aragorn and it still shows Pippin, Frodo and Sam at the table.
· Aragorn tells the group of hobbits that they’re going in the wild. As he does so, he walks forward and his bow hits the camera and slightly moves it.
· Arwen is trying to outrun the Ringwraiths on her horse. When they chase her to the Ford of Bruinen, they draw their swords with their left hands. During the scene, the sword changes from their left to right hands and then back again. Also during this scene, Arwen is holding her own sword in the air. When she summons the water , a side view of her shows she is holding her sword down but in the next front view of her , the sword is lifted up.
· Aragorn is fighting Lurtz at the Battle of Amon Hen. When Aragorn hits the tree, he drops his sword. Lurtz then pins Aragorn to the tree with his shield. When the shield hits him, Aragorn drops his sword again.
· CAUTION: May Contain Spoilers! Near the end, Boromir is mortally wounded by Lurtz. Aragorn is talking while kneeling over him. Boromir’s right hand alternates from being on Aragorn’s left shoulder (in back views of him) and being down (front views).
“Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring” (2001) stars Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen, Billy Boyd, Dominic Monaghan, Orlando Bloom, Ian McKellan, John Rhys-Davies, Liv Tyler, Cate Blanchett and Christopher Lee. It runs 178 minutes and is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences and some scary images.
Play this Lord of the Rings Movie Trilogy Quiz!
Get your copy of "Lord of the Rings" here: