These Potato Croquettes Italian style are simple to prepare and are a nice change from the usual.
Italians enjoy potatoes and you will often find them offered as a side dish. Italian potato dishes are rarely boring, featuring great texture and flavor. This variation is simple, but the presentation makes them an elegant choice for company or holidays.
- 1 pound potatoes, Yukon gold or blue potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 Tbs oregano
- 1 tsp sage
- salt to taste
- 2 Tbs butter
- black pepper, freshly ground
- Peel the potatoes.
- In a large saucepan cover potatoes with salted water by 2 inches and simmer until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and cool.
- Chill potatoes.
- Set a four-sided grater in a large bowl and coarsely shred potatoes and onion into bowl.
- Season potatoes and onions with salt and black pepper.
- Add the butter, oregano and sage and mix.
- Put shredded potatoes into buttered muffin tins. Pack lightly.
- Bake at 425F degrees for 35 to 40 minutes and potatoes are browned.
- Carefully remove from muffin tins and serve.
Note: The amounts for the oregano and sage are for fresh herbs. If you are using dry herbs, reduce the recipe amounts: 1 Tbs fresh = 1 tsp dry.
Yukon Gold is variety of potato that has a light yellow skin, a fine-grained texture and a rich buttery flavor. It is a potato that contains a higher level of sugar content, thus providing a richer flavor and a golden brown coloring when roasted or fried in a skillet. Yukons are excellent for boiling and making fluffy, mashed potatoes.