Tri tip is a tasty piece of beef, perfect for grilling Italian style.
- 1 1/2 pounds tri tip beef roast
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 Tbs sea salt
- 1 small shallot
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 3 fresh sage leaves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Peel and mince the garlic and shallot.
- With a large knife, or a mezzaluna, add the other ingredients to the garlic and shallot, and mince together. Repeat with all the herbs and spices and until a paste is formed.
- Add the olive oil and mix well.
- Coat the tri tip roast with the herb paste.
- Let the roast rest for at least 30 minutes.
- When your grill is hot, sear the tri tip roast on all sides for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium (or move the roast to a cooler part of the grill) and allow to cook for 15 minutes on one side.
- Flip the roast and allow it to cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 7-10 minutes before carving.
- Carve the meat across the grain.
Bella Italian Food Recommends
Tri Tip Roast, 4 x 1.5 pounds
It's not always easy to find tri tip outside the western states. A tri tip roast is a boneless cut of meat from the bottom sirloin. You can tell why it's called "tri tip" when you see it's triangular shape. These roasts are perfect grilling size, and certified black angus beef. One of the benefits of tri tip is that it has one of the lowest fat contents of any beef steak or roast.