To watch a video for the salad instructions click here
To watch a video for the dressing instructions click here
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup Yoshida’s teriyaki marinade
1 bag pre washed iceberg lettuce mix
1 bag pre washed romaine lettuce
1 small head of cabbage (or 1 cup shredded anglehair coleslaw)
2 to 3 green onions
1 cup crispy chow mein noodles
2 cups water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons dry pectin
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
- The night before you are ready to serve this dish, prepare both the chicken and the dressing.
- Prepare the chicken by removing all of the fat from each of the breasts. Score the top of each of them by gently cutting slices about 1/8 of an inch deep across the breast and about 1 inch or so apart.
- Then place the chicken in a container with a tight fitting lid to be marinated. Pour the Yoshida’ teriyaki marinade on top and stir through to coat each breast. Cover and marinate overnight. I chose to use Yoshida’s for the delicious sweet flavor it imparts on the chicken, but feel free to use any teriyaki marinade that you chose.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all of the ingredients in a pot. Heat the dressing on medium high, constantly stirring until all of the sugar and pectin dissolve.
- Then remove it from the heat, let it cool and pour it into either a dressing container or a container with a tight fitting lid. Place it in the refrigerator overnight.
- The following day, prepare the salad by mixing together the two bags of lettuce in a large bowl.
- Remove and discard the outer leaves of the head of cabbage. Then cut just enough of it into thin shreds to make 1 cup full. Mix the cup full of cabbage shreds into the salad.
- Rinse the green onions under cold water and then dry them with paper towels. Cut off the base and the very tops and discard. Remove any wilting pieces. Then cut the remaining stalks into small ¼ inch pieces by cutting on a diagonal. Mix them into the salad, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Next cook the chicken by pre heating the grill on high. Once the grill is hot, remove the chicken from the marinade and place each breast on the grill. Let them cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Then flip them onto the other side and cook another 3 to 4 minutes. Check to make sure they are cooked through, and then remove them from the heat. Cut them into thin slices.
- Remove the salad and the dressing from the refrigerator and mix just enough dressing into the salad for you liking. Stir thoroughly.
- Serve by placing the salad on a plate, top with chow mein noodles, and then with the chicken breast pieces. Makes 4 servings.