County fairs have been a summer tradition. You may think as a diabetic it is a mine field, especially the midway filled with all sorts of fried sweet and savory goodies. However, there a few strategies you can use to be able to indulge in fairs as well as keep your blood glucose(BG) numbers in order.
1. Explore the ride area. Walk from one end to another and expend some energy on a fast paced ride. Yes, you will find cotton candy, pretzels and such but you can stick with water or diet soda for the time being.
2. Check out the vendor area. Walking from one tent or building to another will expend lots of calories. Look at the demonstrations and try to avoid the food isle. If one of your party buys the fudge or dipping dots have one bite or two. Also, this area tends to be filled with all sorts of kitchen gadgets that promise to cut time, money and fat. Stay awhile and watch the demonstrators. You may learn a new trick or two.
3. Check out all the exhibit halls. See who won for best painting and crocheting. Be sure to go to all the halls to see all the numerous categories offered by the fair. Check out any demonstrations while you’re there. Again you might glean some cooking tips or other household tips you might have not considered.
4. Go to the Midway. Yes, all sorts of ‘bad’ food can be found here. But you know a secret. You can indulge in a few of your favorites since you’ve done all sorts of walking by now. Have a ‘taste’ from your companions and share whatever ‘bad’ food you have been craving since you arrived at the fair. Be sure to bring some healthy snacks for your sugar low. A few things to eat at the midway without feeling guilty would be the roasted corn, jerky and the bar-b-que.
5. Dance the night away. Now that you’ve indulged check out the entertainment section. From rock bands to square dancing, you should find something to burn up those excess calories you’ve indulged in and not feel guilty.
Summer is meant to be filled with long, lazy days and fun filled evenings. Remember as a diabetic you’re just like everyone else and can enjoy the fun. Just watch what you eat and drink plenty of fluids and you will have a great summer.