This recipe combines two of the greatest cookies. Chocolate chip cookies merge
with oatmeal cookies. The results are delicious. Chocolate chip oatmeal cookies
satisfy cookie cravings of the young and the old. Freeze the baked cookies and
take out as needed. Add them to a packed lunch or use them as an after school
snack. These are a great cookie to make for a pot luck or other party. In
addition to being able to freeze the cookies after they are baked you can also
freeze the cookie dough. Then you can make fresh, warm cookies any time you
like. The dough needs to be wrapped in plastic wrap, then in a freezer safe
container or bag.
This recipe calls for old-fashioned oats. Old-fashioned oats provide fiber rich
nutrition. Foods high in fiber can help lower cholesterol levels. In addition
eating old fashioned oats are suspected of lowering certain diseases, such as
Type 2 Diabetes.
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Makes 48 small cookies
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 sticks of butter (1 cup), softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the flour and baking soda in a small bowl and set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl beat the brown and granulated sugars with the butter
until just combined.
4. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
5. Beat in the vanilla.
6. Add the flour mixture, a little at a time. Beat after each addition.
7. Stir in the chocolate chips and the old fashioned oats. Stir until just
combined. Do not over stir. Over mixing can cause flat cookies.
8. Refrigerate for at least one hour. I refrigerated for several hours.
Refrigerating the cookie dough also assists in preventing the cookie from
flattening or spreading too much.
9. On a greased cookie sheet drop rounded tablespoon sized scoops of dough.
10. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!