Crepes are one of my favorite dishes when going out to brunch. I love crepes so much I decided to challenge myself and make them at home. They were not nearly as difficult as I anticipated. You do have to be prepared to throw out a few crepes before you get the hang of it. The great thing about crepes is you can fill with almost anything. The possibilities are endless from sweet to savory. I filled mine with chocolate and banana. There are so many other equally delicious ways to fill a crepe. Fill your crepe with chocolate, then add apples, cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, or even fill with ice cream. A great idea if having friends or family over for brunch is to have a crepe bar. Provide a stack of crepes and filling options. Your guests can prepare their own.
Chocolate and Banana Crepes Recipe
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 tablespoon vanilla
Sliced banana and chocolate chips for filling
1. Heat a nonstick frying pan or skillet.
2. Combine the flour and eggs in a large mixing bowl and whisk until combined.
3. Add the water, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Continue whisking until smooth.
4. Grease the skillet with a little bit of butter.
5. Scoop out the batter using a 1/4 cup measuring cup. Pour the batter into the skillet and tilt the pan as it covers most of the bottom. The batter needs to be thin enough to do so and you do need to be quick. The batter should be similar in consistency to heavy cream. I removed the pan from the heat during this process to avoid the crepe from cooking before the batter had a chance to spread. Keep in mind that you are rolling up your crepes after filling. They do not need to be perfect.
6. Cook each crepe for about 2-3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes.
7. Lay the crepe flat on a plate.
8. Place sliced banana and chocolate chips on the crepe.
9. Roll the crepe up.
10. Optional: Garnish with confectioner’s sugar and whipped cream.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!