Pimento Cheese Chicken Casserole is fast, easy, and best of all, full of flavor! If your family is tired of having chicken casseroles for dinner, I think this recipe might change their minds. The pimentos and cheddar cheese provides a wonderful flavor that both kids and adults appreciate.
This recipe can be prepped in fifteen minutes, and then baked right away or placed in the refrigerator for a day or two. In addition, the casserole is a perfect freezer friendly dish. Simply bake as directed, let cool, and then place in a friendly freezer container. Freeze until ready to thaw and re-heat.
- 2 cups egg noddles (I use the no yolk egg white pasta noodles)
- 3 cups of shredded cheddar cheese (I use the reduced fat kind)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1/2 cup of wine
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 1 cup of chopped pimentos
- 8 ounces of mushrooms (optional)
- 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil the chicken breasts until cooked through and fork tender.
- While chicken cooks, prepare the egg noddles according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup, wine, chicken broth, mushrooms, and pimentos. Stir well.
- After the chicken has cooked, let cool, and then chop into small pieces (this step can also be done prior to boiling the chicken, however, it's much easier when the chicken is cooked and fork tender).
- Add the chicken to the soup mixture and mix well.
- When the pasta has finished cooking, drain and rinse. Stir the egg noodles into the chicken and soup mixture.
- Add two cups of the shredded cheddar cheese and mix well.
- Spray a casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
- Pour the chicken mixture into the casserole dish, and bake for thirty minutes.
- Sprinkle one cup of cheese on top of the casserole the last ten minutes of baking.
- Season the casserole with salt and pepper as desired.