While the abuse of drugs continues to be a source of concern for parents, there is also a serious addiction youths and teenagers are getting hooked on to, sites with heavy adult content. It is so sad that the internet which is suppose to facilitate effective dissemination of information and make life technically easier, has become instrumental to promoting different kinds of immoralities of which adult content is top on the list. Some of these sites have even made it seem attractive by paying money to our children to get them to send in their nude pictures. The media, both print and electronic isnít helping either; too much details on our screens. Our kids are definitely getting enticed; our girls are confidently taking off their clothes, while our sons are glued to these sites and channels all day long. Our children think is cool, how do we save our children from this craze?
1. Get closer to your kids: If there is a time to be closely knitted to your kids, that time is now. We are living in a time where technology, wonderful as it is, has exposed our kids to stuff, both positive and negative. Give them honest moral instructions. Help them understand the effect unhealthy interactions or actives online has on them. Encourage them to think good thoughts.
2. Sanitize your home: While you may not be able to control your kids' online adventures, or single handedly shut down all adult content sites, there are measures you can take to safeguard your kids from getting further hooked on these sites. You can purge your home of magazines or books with heavy adult content. Children are curious by nature, and you are not helping them by keeping handy adult movies or magazines where nudity is celebrated.
3. Use the parental guidance control on your remote: Dstv for one encourages parents to make use of parental guidance control on their remotes to control what their kids watch. Unsubscribe from some channels if you have to, especially channels with adult content and always note movies with age limit.
4. Get filters for your home internet: You can install software to help protect you or your children from accidentally bumping into adult content sites. You and your partner can create a private password for the family computer to create a measure of control. The CYBER sitter is another good internet filter for kids. It is customized to completely block off all adult only content as well as social networks or games you may consider inappropriate. K9 Web Protection is another free Internet filter and parental control software I think you may want to try out, for your home Windows. K9 puts YOU in control of the Internet so you can protect your kids. I'm certain you'd find more filter softwares for your home internet via google search, just donít leave your home internet open.
5. Know when to get them psychological help: If you have tried all you could and know how, then next best move would be to get them psychological help before they really get hurt by this addiction.