We often make sure our face and body are well moisturized and taken care of but ignore knees and elbows. Well, the knees and elbows are the targets of much attention when we venture out in public during the summer. Think about wearing a short skirt, shorty shorts, a sleeveless top. The knee's and elbows are exposed for all the world to see! Knees and elbows are prone to getting dry, ashy, and dark. In fact, this is a problem many women often complain about. And this makes quite a few women want to cover up. Don't worry. There are easy solutions to insure that these area's of the body are kept looking attractive.
Top Causes for Unattractive Knees and Elbows
- The number one reason the knees and elbows start to look awful is because they are neglected for long periods of time.
- Excessive sun exposure without adequate skin protection often leads to dry patchy and very unattractive knees and elbows.
- Were you a very active child or teenager? Constantly scraping those knees or elbows against hard surfaces? This is another top reason why knees and elbows might become very unattractive when you get older.
- Certain types of medications darken the knees and elbows. Ask your doctor about the medications prescribed to insure that they are not the reason for darkening knee's and elbows.
- Certain types of skin disease lead to skin discoloration on the knees and elbow area. Once again contact your doctor for a full checkup.
Tips on Taking Care of Knees and Elbows
Don't let dark, unsightly, rough, dry knees or elbows ruin your day. Here are tips to keep elbows and knees looking soft, moisturized, and beautiful.
- Make sure you properly clean the knees and elbows in the same manner you clean other areas on your body. Many focus on cleaning the arms, legs, torso, and don't pay attention to knees and elbows. Here is what to do. Use a cleanser or pumice stone on the area. Rub gently to remove any build up of dirt and oils.
- Use a thick moisturizer on the areas. Rub on a thick moisturizer after cleansing the area with a scrub or pumice stone. Make this a regular routine. Another good idea is to use a natural cure like Olive Oil or Vitamin E Oil. Rub the oil on affected areas after cleansing.
- Some women rub the rind of a lemon on the knees or elbows to remove dark blotch spots. Here is how; let the rind rind sit on the area for a few minutes, then rinse. The acid in the lemon is thought to break down the dark patches and fades them out while smoothing the skin.
- Exfoliate on the knee's and elbows at least once a month to keep them looking good. Make an easy exfoliation paste using coarse salt mixed with a bit of water. Rub well into affected areas, rinse, and moisturize. Note: use with caution, this mix is not for sensitive skin.
- During the summer always remember to apply a sunscreen or sunblock to the knees and elbow areas. This helps prevent dry cracked patchy skin on knees and elbows.
Use the tips in this piece to take care of problem knees and elbows.