I have had this spicy oven baked chicken recipe for many years. Originally I used salted chips and regular evaporated milk. The small changes below do not affect the flavor of the chicken but they do slightly reduce the fat content of the milk and can eliminate salt altogether. The choice is yours. The easy 1, 2, 3 directions can have you out of the kitchen in no time.
2-1/2 to 3 lb chicken, cut into frying pieces
1 cup low-fat evaporated milk
2 cups finely crushed potato chips, use unsalted chips
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Large dash of hot sauce
Salt to taste (Optional)
Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
1. Combine crushed potato chips, paprika, black pepper and garlic powder (add salt if desired) together in a medium sized bowl or brown bag; mix well. Pour evaporated milk with a large dash of hot sauce into a large second bowl.
2. Place cut up chicken into the evaporated milk for ten minutes to one half hour. Remove chicken from bowl, shaking excess liquid, then place into potato chip mixture, pat chicken to be sure chip mixture adheres and coats chicken thoroughly. Carefully shake excess mix, and place on paper towel.
3. Put chicken parts in a large pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil and place in hot oven. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until done. Fully cooked chicken will run clear juices when pierced. The result is tender golden brown chicken that looks it is fried but is not.
Makes 4 to 5 servings.
Suggested side dish: steamed string beans or corn on the cob. Or serve with couscous. I use Near East brand, it cooks in five minutes. Near East couscous mix does have salt, but is not overly salty. There are several mixes, I like Broccoli & Cheese because broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables
* O. K. to remove skin from chicken. Follow same procedure. Chicken may be juicer if baked with skin on chicken because of fat from skin.
* You can double this recipe and put on a large platter for a crowd.