If someone asked you to name fifty phenomenal women in fifteen minutes do you think you could do it? You wouldn't think it would be a hard task. Women do phenomenal things and lead phenomenal lives all the time. Recently, I put myself to the test. The following list is who I came up with. Unfortunately, and most embarrassingly I cheated a bit and brainstormed with my friend Fionna. In compiling this list I wanted to have some unique names. These women vary in backgrounds, education, vocation, and of course body types. I didn't want the list to be just about plus size women although I found it extremely important to include as many plush women as I could think of. Of course, this list is in no way inclusive. Who are your roles models? Drop by the forum and let us know.
Here's the list in alphabetical order:
* Susan B. Anthony (1820 - 1906), Civil rights leader involved in U.S. suffrage moment.
* Kathy Bates (1948 - ), Academy Award winning actress and television director.
* Elizabeth Blackwell (1821 - 1910), First woman to practice medicine in the U.S.
* Hanne Blank, Writer, editor, public speaker, and educator.
* Barbara Brickner, Professional Wilhelmina plus size model.
* Julia Child (1912 - 2004), Gourmet cook, author, and television host.
* Margaret Cho (1968 - ), Comedian and actress with attitude.
* Geena Davis (1956 - ), Academy Award and Golden Globe winning actress. A most excellent President.
* Loretta Devine (1949 - ), Plus size actress.
* Kate Dicamillo (1964 - ), Award winning children's author.
* Kate Dillon, Professional Plus size Wilhelmina model.
* Amelia Earheart (1897 - 1937), Aviator and writer.
* Missy Elliot (1971 - ), Singer, songwriter and record producer.
* Eve Ensler (1953 - ), Playwright, author, activist and creator of The Vagina Monologues.
* Elizabeth I (1533 - 1603) Queen of England and Queen of Ireland.
* America Ferrera (1984 - ), Teen actress from Real Women Have Curves.
* Anne Frank (1929 - 1945), Jewish girl who kept a diary while living in a secret room in Germany during WWII.
* Betty Friedan (1921 - 2006), Feminist, activist and writer best known for The Feminine Mystique.
* Frieda Hughes (1960 - ) Poet and painter.
* Juliette Gordon Low (1860 - 1927), Founder of Girl Scouts.
* Mia Hamm (1972 - ), Professional soccer player.
* Lindsay Hollister (1977 - ), Plus size actress and comedian.
* Jodie Hunter, Publicist and creator of Don't Tell Me What Size I Must Be.
* Queen Latifah (1970 - ), Grammy Award-winning rap artist and actress.
* Kimberley Locke (1978 - ), Pop singer introduced by American Idol. Plus size fashion model.
* Madonna (1958 - ), Multitalented singer, songwriter, producer, actress and author.
* Camryn Manheim (1961 - ), Plus size actress best known for her role on the Practice.
* S. Epatha Merkerson (1952 - ), Golden Globe winning actress who's been a familiar face on Law and Order for the last 11 years.
* Elaine Miles (1960 - ), Native actress best known for her role on Northern Exposure.
* Toni Morrison (1931 - ), Nobel Prize winning author.
* Mother Teresa (1910 - 1997), Catholic nun known for her humanitarian work and awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
* Kathy Najimy (1957 - ), Feminist, activist and actress.
* Annie Oakley (1860 - 1926), Wild West sharpshooter.
* Rosie O'Donnell (1962 - ), Comedian, actress and activist.
* Eleanor Roosevelt (1884 - 1962), Women's rights activist, writer, teacher,
* Diane Sawyer (1945 - ), Television journalist.
* Wendy Shanker, Comedian and writer of The Fat Girl's Guide to Life.
* Sherri Shepherd, Plus size actress and comedian.
* Nina Simone (1933 - 2003), Blues singer and songwriter.
* Gloria Steinem (1934 - ), Feminist, journalist and women's rights activist.
* Sue Thomas, The first deaf FBI agent.
* Harriet Tubman (1820 - 1930), Activist involved in the liberation of African Americans.
* Mia Tyler (1978 - ), Plus size model.
* Satu Vuorenmaa, Plus size photographer and owner of Big on Batik.
* Barbara Walters (1931 - ), News anchor and television host.
* Marilyn Wann, Author and fat activist.
* Jennifer Weiner, Chick Lit author.
* Jessica Weiner, Speaker and author of Do I Look Fat in This?
* Mae West (1893 - 1980), Actress, playwright, screenwriter, and sex symbol.
* Oprah Winfrey (1954 - ), Talk show host, actress and media conglomerate.
* Shelley Winters, (1920 - 2006) Academy Award winning actress on her own terms.