Nothing says “comfort food” like a homemade meatloaf. Meatloaf makes a wonderful meal, can be assembled ahead of time, and makes for some tasty leftovers.
1. Be gentle with the mixing process – don’t over mix the meatloaf mix.
2. Make a tiny patty of the meatloaf mixture and sauté until cooked through – taste to see if you are happy with the seasonings – adjust as needed.
3. Line the baking pan with parchment paper to allow the meatloaf to easily release from the baking pan and make clean up easier.
4. Use an instant read thermometer to register 160 degrees inserted in the center of the meatloaf to determine doneness.
5. Allow meatloaf to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing – will help it hold together.
6. Use a meatloaf pan with a slotted insert that raises the meatloaf out of the grease and allows for easy removal from the pan.
7. You may also bake meatloaf in mini cake pans or muffin pans of various sizes.
8. Make an extra meatloaf when you are making meatloaf – put one that has not been baked yet in the freezer for a ready made meal on the night when you don’t want to cook.
Blue Cheese, Bacon and Mushroom Stuffed Meatloaf
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Chop the bacon into ½” pieces. Place in a large skillet over medium high heat. Saute for 5 minutes – add the onion, garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 5-10 minutes more until the onions are soft and the mushrooms are beginning to color. Drain any excess fat. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
3. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Place into a 9x13 inch loaf pan or meatloaf pan. Bake for 40-60 minutes – depending on the oven – check with thermometer to check for doneness – should read 160 degrees when inserted into the center of the meatloaf.
4. Let rest for 10 minutes and then slice.
5. Serve with some mashed potatoes and enjoy!!
Visit my website oneredpot.com - for tips on Food Health Lifestyle.