The ingredient list looks a little more involved than it actually is [especially when you love the process of building/layering flavors]; and if you want to allow the nuances of the dish to shine through you'll do it this way.
[I'm going to give you the ingredients list first and then the way I like to partition it when I'm demonstrating the process.]
1 large skillet
1 large enameled stock pot
2 medium-sized mixing bowls
12 small measuring bowls
1 wooden spatula
1 metal spatula
1 large serving tray
1. 2 tbsp coconut oil
2. 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3. 3 black cardamom pods
4. 1 tsp freshly ground fennel seeds
5. 1 tsp freshly ground cumin
6. 1 large brown onion [chopped]
7. Himalayan pink sea salt [to taste]
8. 1 tbsp chili powder
9. 1 tbsp chipotle powder
10. 7 cloves garlic
11. 2 cups bell peppers [multi colored - sliced]
12. 1 lb tofu [organic - extra firm]
13. 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
14. 1 lb shiitake mushrooms [chopped]
15. 3 tbsp cassava flour [rice flour or potato flour can work as well]
16. 1 tbsp palm sugar
17. 2 tbsp tomato paste
18. 2 tbsp mustard
19. 1 tbsp vinegar [coconut, apple cider or balsamic]
20. 25 oz marinara sauce
21. vegetable broth [for thinning - to your preference]
22. 4 gluten-free waffles [toasted & buttered - optional]
23. baby or micro greens
24. shredded cheese [non-dairy or dairy - optional]
Step 1. Combine ingredients in separate measuring bowls like this:
- Group #1.) 1-5, 6, 7, 8-10, 11, 12
- Group #2.) 13, 14, 15, 16-19, 20
Step 2. Place on serving tray in same order for easier cooking.
Step 3. Cover and place on counter for when you're ready to start cooking.
Step 1. Heat both your skillet and stock pot and add your coconut/olive oil spice mixture to the skillet and your olive oil and shiitake mushrooms to the stock pot, with a pinch of salt, and let saute.
Step 2. In your skillet, once the spices have started to give off their fragrance, add your onion and salt and saute until onions become translucent and begin to brown then toss in your chipotle/chili blend, stir and add your peppers. Stir again and cook down until peppers soften and deepen in color and aroma and add tofu.
Step 3. Stir in flour to your mushrooms in the stockpot and let toast and darken. Add measuring cup containing 16 - 19 and stir in and let saute for 30 seconds to a minute and add marinara sauce, let cook through, add broth and let simmer.
Step 4. With spatula, mix tofu in skillet as it's browning and scrape bottom of pan to remove sticking tofu. Cook through until texture is real meaty.
Step 5. Add 3 cups of stockpot contents to skillet, fully incorporate and then pour skillet contents into stockpot and let simmer through until it to your desired thickness. Taste and adjust your seasonings.
Step 6. Toast and butter your waffles, arrange on plate and ladle over your Sloppy Joe's, topped with your choice of cheese and micro greens.
Step 7.Serve it up and try not to over eat! Bon Appetit!
As always, it's my pleasure sharing these recipes with you. Until next time...