Here's a few examples for you to try for your next summer gathering.
|This popular melon basket is perfect for any summer occasion.|
Here's two more melon baskets...
|Having a baby shower or christening party this summer? Here's your centerpiece!|
|Kids love melon! Having a birthday party for your favorite little guy? Heres' a pirate ship!|
|This spouting whale can hold melon salad at your next pool party!|
Need a punch bowl?...cut away less rind for a deeper body.
There's a recipes for watermelon punch below.
|This pretty swan will require a bit more expertise.|
It would be a perfect centerpiece for the food table at a wedding shower or garden reception.
Photos and centepiece designs courtesy of Watermelon.org
- When carving the watermelon, to prevent it from rolling around and to absorb the juice, lay a heavy towel on a counter top and place the watermelon on top.
- Use a non-toxic water soluable marker to lightly draw an outline of the object you want to carve (basket with handle, carriage, etc.)
- Use a large sharp knife to carefully cut the melon along the drawn line.
- Use a scalloped, curved or zigzag pattern rather than a straight line for the cut edge, if desired.
- Use a melon baller to scoop out the flesh, then place it in a large bowl and set aside. Just before serving, carefully spoon the melon salad into the carved watermelon vessel.
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave and smooth the cut edges around your carved melon.
- Use a large metal spoon to scrape away any remaining melon on the inside of your "bowl".
For a melon salad in a 15 to 20 pound oblong melon -
- the flesh from the watermelon
- 2 cantaloupes
- 2 honeydews
- 3 cups fresh strawberries - washed, hulled and halved
- 2 cups or large white, black or red seedless grapes - washed and halved
- 6 kiwi fruit - peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp. grated lemon peel
Scoop out the flesh of all the melons with a melon baller. then set aside. Toss the melon balls, berries and grapes and kiwi slices together. In a separate bowl, mix the lime juice, lemon juice, sugar and lemon peel together. Pour the juice mixture over the fruit mixture and toss lightly again.
Process pieces of seed-free watermelon in a blender until it's liquified. Combine watermelon juice with cranberry juice concentrate, and lemonade concentrate. Place a few scoops of sherbet into a punch bowl. Add the juice mixture then slowly add the club soda and stir.
|KitchenAid Melon Baller|
Scooping out perfect melon balls is easy with this classic kitchen gadget. This quality brand will outlast all the rest!
Pfaltzgraff Watermelon Scoop Bowl
This fun abd festive watermelon-shaped bowl will accommodate a nicely sized watermelon half, or a whole cut-up watermelon. It's 17 1/4" long x 9 1/2" wide and holds 3 quarts.... no carving needed.