When you meet someone for the first time it is often difficult to know what to say after the first few words. Especially in the party season when you are surrounded by many new people, thinking of what to say to strangers can be quite stressful. Even if you get the conversation going with the usual questions, it can soon come to a standstill. As explained in this self development article, one way to resolve this is to ask interesting questions that make the other person think.
Interesting questions to ask someone – the advantages
Questions that people perceive as interesting also divulge information about the other person’s inner or true self. So, as well as using interesting questions to break the ice with a stranger, you can use them to help you to get to know people on a deeper level. Another advantage is that you will probably be remembered as being someone who was a little different from the norm and asked some unexpected questions!
Interesting questions to ask someone – some suggestions
Here are some questions that are a little different which could take your conversation into new directions:
* What is your favourite sound?
* What do you consider to be chores?
* What is your most treasured possession?
* What are two foods you could never give up?
* What three things could you not live without?
* What do you think is a fun thing to do for a day?
* What is the most zany thing you have ever done?
* What is the most exciting experience you have had?
* What are people usually surprised to know about you?
* What is the greatest advice you have ever been given?
* What is the most difficult thing you have ever had to do?
* If you were given 10 million dollars would you do with it?
* What do you think is the funniest word in our vocabulary?
* If you could go back in time for a day where would you go?
* What is the strangest thing that has ever happened to you?
* If you could have a superpower for a day what would it be?
* If you could pick up a new skill in an instant what would it be?
* If you could describe yourself in one word what would that be?
* If you could travel anywhere this moment where would you go?
* If a genie made you invisible for a few hours what would you do?
* If you changed your sex for a day how would you spend the time?
* If you could remain a particular age forever what age would this be?
* If you could have any job you desired on the planet what would it be?
* When you meet a new person what characteristics do you notice first?
* If you could go back in history what event would you love to experience?
* If someone wrote a book on your life what would you like the title to be?
* If you could have only one powered appliance at home/work what would it be?
Of their own accord the other person may then go on to explain the reason for their answer. If they do not, asking them “Why?” after their initial answer will usually make them open up even more.
Do not worry about what they might think about your questions. Just ensure that you do not ask questions one after the other without really listening to the answers as this can be a real turn off. So truly listen to them, engage and have fun.
Interesting questions to ask someone – Self Development Summary
There are many advantages of asking people interesting questions, e.g., to break the ice with strangers, to find out more about someone's true self, to be remembered, etc. This self development article lists some questions that are a little different from the norm and could take your conversations into new and unexpected directions!
To receive further articles do visit the 'FREE Self Development Newsletter' link below. For my Background, Passions and why I write articles like these, see: BUSINESS of JOY = JOY of BUSINESS