Affogato al café or just affogato is an Italian dessert that is simply hot
espresso poured over vanilla ice cream. Affogato is the Italian word for
drowned. Hot espresso basically drowns the ice cream. The steaming hot espresso
incorporates itself into the ice cream and begins to melt it. Affogato is a
simple dessert that creates big flavors. This is a dream for both coffee and
ice cream lovers. I felt this dessert was missing something. The missing
ingredient is chocolate, of course! This recipe replaces the vanilla ice cream
with chocolate ice cream. In addition, it includes pound cake cupcakes that
also get drenched in espresso. There are many variations to affogato. The
espresso can be replaced with coffee or a liqueur. Some options are Amaretto,
Kahlua, or Frangelico. Another option is combining the coffee and liqueur.
Chocolate Affogato Recipe
Ingredients for 1 serving:
1 pound cake cupcake (recipe below)
2 scoops of chocolate ice cream
1 shot of hot espresso
1. Unwrap one cupcake from the wrapper and place in a bowl.
2. Top with 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream.
3. Pour a shot of hot espresso over the ice cream.
4. Serve immediately.
If serving to guests, provide them with the bowl of pound cake and ice cream
along with the shot of espresso. Your guests can pour the espresso over the ice
Pound Cake Cupcakes Recipe
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla until fully combined and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs and flour alternately, beating after each addition. Add one
egg, then 1/2 cup flour and continue until all eggs and flour have been
4. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake papers.
5. Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 full.
6. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
7. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!