If you or someone you love are sick with a cold or flu virus, don't worry, there are plenty of things you can do to help yourself feel better. The following natural suggestions can be very effective for easing cold and flu symptoms.
* Be kind to yourself. While you are sick take this opportunity to rest and care for your body, mind and spirit. Be patient and slow down your normal routine. This will help you to heal. Remember that most cold and flu virus' can last from seven to ten days. The more you rest the faster you will recover. A cold or flu is your body's way of telling you that you need to take better care of yourself.
* Drink plenty of water and fluids to moisturize the mucous membranes, reduce fever, loosen chest congestion, and make breathing easier.
* Take a multivitamin daily to keep your body healthy and strengthen your immune system.
* Take zinc, not only at times when you are sick, but also include this miracle mineral into your routine a few times a week. Studies show that zinc helps to shorten the life of a cold or flu virus, and it also helps to prevent illness as well.
* Olive leaf is a derivative of the green olive, which has healing powers for the human body. Olive leaf works as an antiviral in the body. Taking olive leaf when you feel a cold coming on can help to eliminate cold symptoms.
* Try Airborne, which is a new vitamin and mineral supplement that dissolves in a glass of water. It was created by a school teacher who was familiar with getting sick often from germs in school. This is a product truly worthy of praise. It works to prevent colds and flu. It also works if you are already sick to heal the body. I can tell you it does work. A few weeks ago I used it after feeling the tinges of a cold coming on. To my surprise, it was pleasant tasting, and helped my cold to get better within three days. It was the shortest cold I have ever had in my life. I am a big fan of Airborne now.
* Occasionally take cod liver oil. It is an old fashioned remedy that works to heal the body. It contains omega 3 fatty acids that strengthen the immune system. Cold liver oil also helps the skin and hair to look radiant.
* Include Antioxidants into your diet. Antioxidants repair and protect all cells within the human body. Fruits and vegetables are rich in the antioxidants Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Beta Carotene, and Lycopene. Good examples are melon, berries, apples, green leafy vegetables, carrots, spinach, peppers, broccoli and tomato.
* Take Vitamin C, a healing vitamin that aids in the prevention of stress, colds, flu, respiratory illness, and overstressed adrenal glands.
* Wash your hands often to prevent the spread of germs and bacteria. It is a good idea to wash whenever you touch anything that contains bacteria.
* Get plenty of sleep and rest. Sleep helps to heal the body, mind and spirit. Be mindful to develop a healthy sleep schedule that includes restful naps. Enough sleep will give your body the healing restoration it needs to protect you from illness and infection.
* Use a small personal steamer. Breathing in steam can help to relieve sinus congestion. Steam can also help to eliminate the cold and flu virus within the body. Always use a steamer with care. Never use a pot of hot water because that can be dangerous. Read and follow all directions for steaming carefully.
* Become a problem solver. Think of solutions to problems to relieve your mind of worry. Write things down to ease mental stress. This will help to prevent illness.
* Make friends. Studies show that people who regularly talk with a friend have less colds and flu than people who do not . Friendship gives us a natural support system, that develops a healthy mind and body. Friendship makes us feel good, and it boosts immunity against disease and illness.
* Visit and talk with your doctor at least once a year. This gives you the best care to stay healthy. Regular visits with your doctor can help to find and treat possible illness before it begins, and it is a good way to take care of yourself.
* It is important to be examined by your doctor if you have a cold or flu virus that causes serious illness or respiratory infection. Most normal colds and flu can be treated with rest and care, but more serious versions should be examined by a doctor. If you have a fever or mucous discharge that is yellow or green that means you have an infection and should see your doctor for examination, as soon as possible. He or she can prescribe antibiotics or medical treatments that can best help your body to heal and become well again.
Please note that this article was written with the intention of helping people and sharing information. The author neither makes nor attempts to make any diagnosis or cure or prevent any disease. This article is not a substitute for the medical care of your physician. Talk with your doctor before beginning any health care program, and before taking any supplement or medication to ensure it is safe for your body. It is also important to read and follow the recommended dosage for any vitamin, mineral or herbal supplement. Never exceed the recommended dosage listed for any supplement product, as this can cause illness or allergic reaction within the body.