2 standard loaves
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup water
1 16 oz. can pumpkin
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
3 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Spray two standard loaf pans with Baker’s Joy, or grease and flour.
- Cream the sugars and shortening.
- Add the eggs, water, and pumpkin.
- Turn the mixer to low and add the baking soda, salt, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and flour.
- Mix well.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Pumpkin Nut Bread: Reserve 2 tablespoons flour from the basic pumpkin bread recipe above; toss 1-2 cups chopped nuts with the flour and stir them in the bread just before pouring the batter in the pans.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread: Reserve 2 tablespoons flour from the basic pumpkin bread recipe above; toss 1 cup chocolate chips in the flour and fold them into the batter just before pouring it into the pans.
Pumpkin Raisin Walnut Bread: Reserve 2 tablespoons flour from the basic pumpkin bread recipe above; toss 1 cup raisins and 1 cup chopped walnuts in the flour and fold them into the batter just before pouring it into the pans.
Amount Per Serving (Basic Pumpkin Bread)
Calories 214 Calories from Fat 66
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 31% Protein 5% Carb. 64%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 7 g
Saturated Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 35 mg
Sodium 185 mg
Total Carbohydrate 34 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%