A common dessert found in French grocery stores in the refrigerated section near the clafouti and mousse au chocolate, is also called Profiteroles; it is actually a bowl of cream puffs covered with a decadent chocolate mousse. Some versions have a thin layer of cake on the bottom.
Although cream puffs aren't difficult to make, frozen cream puffs are now available at most grocery stores; they are actually quite good and are filled with real whipped cream. The following Profiterole Dessert incorporates these pre-made cream puffs with an easy to make chocolate mousse over a layer of cake. Since easy to use convenience products are used in this dessert, cooks of all skill levels can whip it up in no time at all. It makes enough to serve 24, so its the perfect dessert to take to a party or serve to a large group.
Easy Profiterole Dessert
1 9 oz. package devil's food cake mix, such as Jiffy
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon instant coffee or expresso powder
1 tablespoon hottest tap water
4 cups milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 3 oz. packages chocolate instant pudding mix,
4 cups heavy whipping cream
48 frozen mini cream puffs, (such as Poppies)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped white chocolate
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Line a 10 1/2 x 17" jellyroll pan with parchment or grease and flour the pan well.
- Mix the cake mix, egg, and water until smooth and spread it evenly in the jellyroll pan (it will be thin).
- Bake at 350° for about 8 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Meanwhile, while the cake is baking, dissolve the coffee powder in the hot tap water; pour the mixture into a blender container.
- Add the milk, almond extract, and pudding mix to the blender container; blend until smooth, scraping the sides once. Immediately pour into a bowl and refrigerate until set.
- Whip the cream until stiff; fold it into the pudding.
- When the cake has cooled, arrange the mini cream puffs evenly over the top.
- Pour the mixture over the cream puffs, spreading evenly over the puffs. It's okay if the tops of the puffs are showing a little. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Place the semi-sweet chocolate chips in a bowl with a teaspoon vegetable oil. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, then microwave another minute or until the chocolate is melted. Drizzle over the dessert.
- Place the white chocolate and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a bowl and microwave 1 minute. Stir until melted and drizzle over the top of the chocolate.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Cut the dessert into 24 squares and serve.
Note: this dessert can be prepared 2 or 3 days ahead and refrigerated, or up to 1 month ahead and frozen; wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 361 Calories from Fat 257
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 71% Protein 5% Carb. 24%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 29 g
Saturated Fat 17 g
Cholesterol 111 mg
Sodium 179 mg
Total Carbohydrate 22 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 9 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 13% Vitamin C 1% Calcium 0% Iron 5%