This luscious dessert, an old family recipe, is popular with family members and catering clients. It’s nice to know that it isn’t difficult to make; it’s quick and easy – no crust to roll out, and it showcases the local peaches to advantage.
3 pounds fresh peaches, (about 7 medium)
3/4 cup oats
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Spray a deep 9 x 7" baking dish with non-stick spray (or a 9 x 13" shallow baking dish).
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil.
- Place the peaches in the boiling water for 1 minute, then transfer them to a bowl of cold water.
- Peel, pit, and slice them into a bowl.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the peaches and toss.
- Transfer the peaches to the prepared baking dish.
- Mix the oats, brown sugar, flour, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add the butter and cut it in until it is the size of small peas.
- Spread the mixture over the peaches. Bake 30-45 minutes or until the peaches are done and the topping is golden.
- Remove from the oven, let sit 10-15 minutes, and serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 437 Calories from Fat 215
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 49% Protein 4% Carb. 47%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 15 g
Cholesterol 62 mg
Sodium 314 mg
Total Carbohydrate 52 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 4 g
Vitamin A 36% Vitamin C 22% Calcium 0% Iron 8%