Johnny Appleseed has a birthday on September 26th. Celebrate his special day with a birthday party and a day full of apple-rific activites! Here is a list of apple themed activities for your preschoolers:
1. Learn about Johnny Appleseed- Enchanted Learning offers a free and informative printable for your preschoolers to enjoy, and color. You can find it at www.enchantedlearning.com/paint/school/usa/people/Appleseed.shtml. While this is a paint and print activity, it can be printed and cut out or enlarged for students. Be creative and mount the story and picture when colored on red and green paper, or on a construction paper apple cutout.
2. Make each preschooler an apple out of construction paper and have them write an Acrostic poem on it using the word Apple.
3. Invite parents of your preschool class, co-op or playgroup to share apple treats at this festive party. Ideas include caramel apples, an apple variety snack plate, apple cupcakes, apple cake, apple jello or dried apple fruit mix.
4. Read apple books during storytime. Several great choices include How Do Apples Grow? by Betsy Maestro, Apples, Apples, Apples by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace, Apple Farmer Annie by Monica Wellington, Amelia Bedelia's First Apple Pie by Herman Parish, and Tigger and the Apple Tree (Mickey's Young Readers Library, 8) by Mary Carey.
5. Practice good manners and pantomime cooking with the Melissa & Doug Wooden Make & Serve Apple Pie Set. You can get several for your kitchen play center/area and encourage pie making fun!
6. The alphabet apple by V Tech is a wonderful way to learn letters and practice phonics with a friendly apple to work on! Offer children a turn at using this educational apple in class.
7. The Magnetic Apple Maze by Constructive Playthings offers a challenge for the preschool crew, and it is a perfect apple themed game for your games and blocks center.
8. Practice Math skills and have a blast with the Learning Resources Magnetic Apple Fractions by Learning Resources. Your preschooler won't even realize he or she is practicing Math!
9. The celebrated Johnny Appleseed is not to be forgotten. The best book I have found for the pre-k children is Johnny Appleseed by Jodie Shepherd. This particular book is an easy and enjoyable read, with colorful and friendly pictures.
10. Sing some apple themed songs to round out the party. The Preschool site here at BellaOnline has several apple themed songs and fingerplays you can use.