It would be unconscionable to use packaged coconut for this special cake; fresh coconut is a must. My husband usually prepares the coconut for me, but I have done it myself a few times and it isnít really that difficult, especially if a food processor is available to grate the coconut once itís removed from the shell. Detailed instructions are given below.
1 fresh coconut
1 Basic White Cake , baked in three 8" layers
1 batch Microwave Pineapple Filling
1 batch Fluffy White Frosting
- Prepare the coconut:Puncture the eyes of the coconut and drain the juice into a bowl; strain the juice through 2 layers of cheesecloth and set aside.
- Place the coconut on a baking sheet in a 350į oven and bake for 30 minutes; remove from the oven and cool.
- Crack the coconut with a hammer and remove the coconut meat (push the blade of a butter knife between the shell and the coconut meat; it will come out easily).
- With a vegetable peeler, peel off any brown rind.
- Finely grate the white coconut, either in the food processor or with a hand grater, and set aside.
- Assembly:Cool the cake layers and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the fresh coconut milk evenly over each layer.
- Place the bottom cake layer on a serving dish (upside down) and spread half of the pineapple filling over.
- Top with the second layer (bottom down) and cover with the remaining pineapple filling.
- Top with the last layer.
- Cover the sides and top with the seven minute frosting and press the grated fresh coconut over the sides and top of the cake.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 539 Calories from Fat 218
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 40% Protein 5% Carb. 55%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 24 g
Saturated Fat 14 g
Cholesterol 80 mg
Sodium 268 mg
Total Carbohydrate 74 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 25 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 0% Iron 7%