I think that the title of this book,“I Can’t Do It All!” is misleading but the sub-title, “Breaking Free From The Lies That Control Us” makes it clear. The book dares to look closely at 14 beliefs or ‘lies’ that we hold on to and that ultimately enslave us.
Each chapter gives a thorough discussion of each topic and offers a biblical perspective on breaking free from the particular lie.
What is meant by “lies?’ These are a few. Do any of them sound familiar?
- “I need a man/baby/career/money to be happy and fulfilled”
- “If I am unhappy, I don’t have to stay.”
- “True love is like a romance novel.”
- “I can be young forever.”
- “It’s my choice.”
The authors are three talented and very different women:
- Tracie Peterson, best-selling author of over 60 historical and contemporary novels.
- Allison Bottke, creator of the God Allows U-Turns project and Author of “God Allows U-Turns for Women. I reviewed this book. You can find that review here.
- Dianne O’Brian, a registered nurse, speaker and pastor’s wife.
This combination assures that each topic can be covered fully and logically and in a variety of ways, from an emotional, material, physical, and spiritual angle. Each author adds her own perspective to the discussion.
I liked the way each chapter is put together.
The topic is discussed. Then comes the work part, where you are asked to think it through and then to apply it to your own life. Following this, the authors give their own stories.
While it is suggested that “I Can’t do It All!” be used for either individual or group study, after reading it, I think it would be more useful for a group study – Even better in a group of women of all ages, with different life experiences. A few of the ‘lies’ covered in the book really hit home with me while others were harder for me to identify with. I found myself wanting the input of group discussion to bring better perspective and understanding of all of the topics.
I Cant Do It All:
Breaking Free from the Lies that Control Us