- Start your style with the appropriate shampoo and conditioner. Choose products that are labeled moisturizing or smoothing. Moisture helps to smooth the curls and tame frizzies. If your hair is dry or damaged, leave about 10 to 20 percent of the conditioner in your hair after rinsing.
- Towel dry your hair and apply a liberal amount of smoothing serum and flexible styling glaze formulated for curly hair. The purpose is to achieve shiny controlled curls that stay springy without being crisp.
- For dramatic effect, create a triangle shaped area that is combed back smoothly. Part off a triangle shaped section. Make a part from the outside corner of one eye, about 3 inches back. Make another part over the inside corner of the other eye joining the end of the first part.
- Comb the hair within the triangle back, firmly.
- Smooth on a little bit of firm hold gel to keep it sleek and secure it with bobby pins.
Allow the long ends of your hair to fall over the bobby pins, hiding them from view.
- Using a diffuser, scrunch all of your hair dry, being careful not to disturb the pins.
- When your hair is thoroughly dry, loosen the curls slightly with your fingers. Remember that the more you work with the curls, the fuller (and frizzier) your hair may become.
- Using your fingers, divide off the top area of your hair – from about eye-level up. Back comb it lightly with a large plastic pik and use bobby pins to pin it up about 1 inch. Allow the curly ends to fall over the bobby pins and blend in with the rest of the hair. To make sure the bobby pins stay in place, spray the pinned areas with flexible hold hair spray and gently arrange the curly ends again.
- Finish your prom style with a mist of spray shine.
EBook - Updos for Every Occassion
Updos for parties, proms, weddings or the office. Follow these simple instructions to begin creating them yourself!