Have you ever thought you could be doing something wrong when washing your hair? We tend to place so much emphasis on our hairstyle that we forget about the ride along the way.
Did you know there are actually rules and guidelines to washing your hair safely? Not following these guidelines could actually damage your hair follicles, and that's something you wouldn't realize until your hair begins to thin.
Follow these guidelines and your hair will love you for it!
1. Always wash your hair in warm water. How water can contribute to dry hair which will make the strands easier to split.
2. Use a dime-sized dab of shampoo and massage into the hair. You don't need to use a large amount of shampoo – it's really a waste because that small dab should lather up to coat all of your hair.
3. Use your fingertips to gently massage the scalp – do not use your fingernails. Many women use their fingernails to scratch the scalp instead of a soothing massage. This can damage your hair follicles over time. While lathering your hair, work your way out towards the ends. If your hair is tangled, don't try to pull your fingers through it; just continue to work the shampoo throughout your hair and rinse.
4. Rinse soapy hair in cool water. This will help naturally stimulate the scalp and increase circulation.
5. After rinsing, place a small dollop of conditioner in your hand and massage into your hair. Work the conditioner through your hair to ease out any tangles. I also like to comb my hair with a very wide toothed comb before rinsing the conditioner out.
6. Once all the conditioner has been rinsed from hair, use a good blast of cold water. This will seal the cuticle and some say it makes your hair shiny.
In addition to the above steps, pay attention to the type of shampoo and conditioner you're using. There are many different types on the market today for dry, normal or oily hair. You can also get shampoo specifically for colored, permed, damaged or gray hair.
The list goes on and on, but the most important thing to remember is to choose a shampoo designed for your specific needs.