This mixed fruit dish is delicious on its own, served with ice cream, or over cake.
Brandied Fruit Recipe
- 1 quart brandy
- 1 quart cherries, pits removed
- 1 quart raspberries
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1 quart sliced peaches
- 1 quart pineapple slices
- 2 Granny smith apples
- 2 cups sugar
- Peel the oranges, separate the sections, and cut the sections into bite size pieces.
- Cut the pineapple slices into bite size pieces.
- Cut the apples into slices and cut away the seeds. Cut the slices into bite size pieces.
- In a large container with a lid mix together the fruit, brandy, and sugar.
- Store the container in the refrigerator and mix every day for at least three days.
Notes: This recipe can be made over a long period of time or all at once. As fresh fruit comes into season you can add it to the fruit mixture. This means that you can have a constant supply of brandied fruit to serve during the year. If you add fruit to the container also add ¼ cup of sugar and ¼ cup of brandy with each new quart of fruit. As long as you keep the fruit mixture refrigerated and well sealed it will keep indefinitely. If you dont want to wait till fruit comes into season try using frozen fruit. Don't forget that the fruit should be colorful. Use blood oranges to add a spark or red color to the fruit. Don't use fruit that is too soft, such as bananas.
A delicious dessert is to serve the brandied fruit over pan di spagna (Italian sponge cake) with just a dollop of whipped cream.