Gingerbread is one of the first aromas that make me start thinking about Christmas, and the wonderful time we can spend with family and friends.
It is also great served warm, and topped with some whipping cream, and this is a good thing, because once everyone starts to smell it they don’t want to wait for it to cool.
This is also a good recipe to make to take to share at the office potluck or family get together. It makes a 9 x 13 pan and serves 16.
Gather these ingredients:
• ½ cup butter
• 2 eggs
• 2 1/3 cups flour
• 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• ½ teaspoon baking soda
• ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon ground cloves
• ½ cup sugar
• 1 cup mild flavored molasses
• 1 ¼ cups cold water
• Powdered sugar
Here’s what to do:
1. Let the butter and eggs sit on counter for 30 minutes to get to room temperature.
2. Turn on the oven to 350 degrees F. to preheat if using a metal cake pan, but only to 325 degrees if using a glass pan.
3. In a medium bowl stir together the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and cloves… set this bowl aside.
4. In your large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium speed for about ½ minutes.
5. Gradually add the sugar; beating well after each addition.
6. When the sugar has been all added to the butter then start adding eggs, one at a time; beating well after each egg.
7. Now, add some of the flour mixture and then some of the cold water.
8. Alternate flour mixture and cold water and beat on low speed after each addition, but only beat until combined.
9. Spread the batter in the greased 9 x 13inch pan.
Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Insert a toothpick near the center to check for doneness. If the toothpick comes out clean it is done.
Cool this cake in the pan on a wire rack for about 30 minutes.
Sprinkle powdered sugar on the top of the cake
To sprinkle some powdered sugar on top there is a couple of different techniques. You can put some in your sifter or strainer and shake some sprinkles on top of the cake. Or it is really decorative if you place a paper doily on top of the cake and sprinkle the powdered sugar on it and then remove the doily and you have a pretty design on the top of the cake.
Whichever way you do it the cake will disappear and everyone will be happy… Enjoy!