There are so many variates of nachos, and with a little creativity, your kids can come up with their own favorite nacho recipes.
- 1 bag of your favorite tortilla chips
- 2 cups of shredded four cheese blend (this is available in one package. However, you can use any type of cheese blend that you prefer).
- 1 pound of lean ground beef
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (or one can of diced tomatoes for a milder flavor)
- Mild or medium salsa
- Low fat sour cream
- Pre heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown the ground beef in a pan over medium heat.
- After it's cooked through, drain the excess juices from the pan.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes (with or without green chilies).
- Simmer for ten minutes.
- Spray a cookie sheet or pizza pan with a non stick cooking spray.
- Spread one layer of tortilla chips over the pan.
- Sprinkle one layer of cheese over the chips.
- Add one layer of the meat and diced tomatoes mixture.
- Sprinkle another layer of cheese over the meat.
- Add a final layer of tortilla chips over the cheese.
- Pour the remaining meat over the entire pan.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for ten to twenty minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with salsa and sour cream.
- Some kids prefer plain nachos and cheese. If this is the case, simply sprinkle shredded cheese over tortillas. You can also warm up the tortillas chips in the oven while warming two cups of cheese spread on the stoves-top.
- Not only can the ground beef and tomato mixture be made ahead, it can be frozen for a later use. Take it out of the freezer the morning of use, and make sure you have cheese, chips, sour cream, and salsa on hand. After it's thawed out, prepare nachos as directed.