data by utilizing the Windows XP backup utility. The article provides a step-by-step procedure detailing how to setup the backup utility to schedule unattended backups. In order to utilize scheduled backups an external hard drive or tape drive needs to be used for the backup media. For home use, an external hard drive is the backup media of choice.
When selecting an external hard drive for backing up data make sure to select a drive that is as large as the internal hard drive if not larger. Most, if not all, external hard drives on the market connect via a USB port and others via a FireWire port. When the hard is connected to the computer, the system will detect the drive and assign a drive letter (E, F, G, etc.). Take note of the assigned letter, as it will be needed when backing up the system.
Schedule Backup to External Hard Drive
- Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Backup
- Click Next in the Backup or Restore Wizard dialog.
- Make sure Backup files and settings is selected then click Next.
- In the What to Back Up dialog select the data to backup. It is recommended that for the first backup All information on this computer is selected. This option will backup all software, data and settings, which will allow for a quick recovery in case of system failure.
- In the Backup Type, Destination, and Name dialog box select the external hard drive for the backup and provide a name for the backup. Click Next.
- In the Completing the Backup or Restore dialog, click Advanced.
- ClickNext in the Type of Backup dialog.
- Click Next in the How to Back Up dialog.
- In the Backup Options dialog, select Replace the existing backups. Click Next.
- In the When to Back Up dialog, select Later, provide a Job Name for the backup, and then click Set Schedule.
- In the Schedule Job dialog, select Schedule tab, and then select Weekly under the Schedule Task list.
- Select a Start time that is a period of time that the computer is not being used – such as . Then select the day of the week for the backup to execute.
- Select the Settings tab and select the option Wake the Computer to run this task. This will ensure that if the computer is in sleep mode the backup will still occur. Click OK.
- In the Set Account Information dialog, type your password and confirm password in the password fields. Click OK.
- Click Next in the When to Back Up dialog.
- In theSet Account Information dialog, type your password and confirm password in the password fields. Click OK.
- Click OK in the Account Information Warning dialog.
- Click Finish in the Completing the Backup or Restore Wizard dialog.
Note: If performing an All information backup a floppy disk will be necessary for storing the system recovery information.
The backup schedule is now set to run on a weekly basis. To make sure that the backup runs without any issues be sure to have the external hard drive connected to the computer and to leave the computer on for the scheduled night.
Backup Media Recommendations:
The Maxtor One Touch External 200GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive offers quick, efficient, and reliable backup protection. Easy to setup and small enough to be portable it is perfect for backups.