Here are sewing instructions to make the bodice for a tutu costume for 18 inch dolls such as American Girl, other historical dolls, Corolle Dolls, Gotz Precious Day Girl Dolls and dolls with similar body types.
In the photo below the center front has been extended down one half inch to a point, which is one variation.
Here is a link to the tutu - the skirt of this costume, and a link to the bodice pattern.
1. Cut 2 sets of pattern pieces. One set is the good material and the other set is the lining. They can be the same material if you'd like.
2. For each set, turn up the waist edge one quarter inch to the wrong side and press with a very cool iron, if acetate material, but do not sew.
3. For each set sew side seams together.
4. Line up the 2 sets right sides together and sew all around the edges except the long waist edge, which you have already turned in one quarter inch to the wrong side.
5. Clip armhole and neck seams and turn pieces right side out.
6. Blind stitch the waist seam of both sets together.
7. Blind stitch shoulder seams - they should just meet and not overlap.
8. Sew on VelcroŽ dots at neckline and waist edge.
Decorate as desired to make the kind of costume you want - some ideas are ballet dancer, bridal gown, Cinderella, fairy or a princess.
Note: The lower edge of the bodice will just overlap the waistline of the tutu, but as it is not joined in any way you could make several bodices to go with the one tutu skirt!
Tutu Skirt of Costume
Special Doll Making Techniques
Article and photo by Susan Kramer