Although this salad is the perfect summertime dish, I first came across it during the winter months. For the holidays I often travel to my old home in the state of New Jersey. During this time, my father and stepmother always take on the task of hosting the holiday parties. At one of these parties is where I was introduced to this amazing Chinese salad. My stepmother made this delicious and simple salad out of Ramen noodles of all things. After tasting it, I just had to have the recipe. It had the perfect blend of sweet, sour, spice, and crunch. I loved it! Since then I’ve made it countless times and tweaked it just a bit. Below is this wonderful recipe. Try it for yourself and let me know what you think in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
To watch a video for these instructions click here
4 green onions chopped
1 pkg Ramen beef noodles
1 pkg bagged coleslaw mix
1/3 cup slivered almonds
¼ cup peanut oil
¼ cup white vinegar
¼ cup sugar
1 flavor packet from the Ramen noodles
- Rinse the green onions under cold running water. Cut off the base and the tops of the greens and discard. Chop the remaining green and white parts on the diagonal into small pieces and set them aside.
- Take the package of Ramen noodles and before opening, break up the noodles into small pieces. Then open the package, pour the crunched up noodles into a bowl and set them aside. Remove the flavor packet and set aside as well.
- In a large salad bowl, mix together the coleslaw, almonds and green onions.
- In a large cup mix together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad mixing everything thoroughly. Then add the noodles mixing them throughout the salad and serve. If you are making this ahead of time, do not mix in the dressing or the noodles until right before serving. This will ensure that the noodles and the nuts will remain crunchy in your final dish. Makes about 4 servings.