Since itís very simple with no actual cooking involved, children can make it by themselves (although itís a good idea for an adult to be around while the water is heating in the microwave).
Using a blender makes quick work of the pudding, however, the mixture can be prepared using a wire whisk if a blender isnít available. If using a blender, itís a snap to clean if a drop or two of dishwashing soap is added to the container along with some hot water immediately after emptying it; the container comes clean with little or no effort. To make the pudding a brighter orange color, add a few drops of orange food coloring Ė not necessary, but more appealing to kids.
Chocolate Orange Halloween Puddings
1 3 oz. package orange gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
4 cups milk
2 3 oz. packages instant vanilla pudding, (4 1/2 cup serving size)
Orange Food Coloring (optional)
24 fudge sandwich cookies (or substitute chocolate sandwich cookies such as Oreo)
1 cup sweetened whipped cream ( real - not frozen whipped topping)
- Dissolve the orange gelatin in the boiling water and set aside.
- Pour the milk into a blender container; add the pudding mix and blend for about 30 seconds.
- Scrape the sides and blend for a second or two.
- Add the gelatin and blend 15-30 seconds; add food coloring if using and pulse the blender until mixed in.
- Immediately pour into a bowl and place in the freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- Meanwhile, place the cookies in a Ziploc-type bag, seal, and crush with a rolling pin or similar object.
- Divide 1/3 of the cookie crumbs among 6 sundae dishes.
- Layer 1/2 of the pudding mixture over the cookie crumbs, dividing evenly among the six dishes.
- Repeat with another layer of crumbs and pudding.
- Top with the remaining crumbs.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving time; this dessert can be made up to 1 day ahead.
- To serve, top with the sweetened whipped cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 201 Calories from Fat 76
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 38% Protein 22% Carb. 40%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 9 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 30 mg
Sodium 131 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20 g
Dietary Fiber 0 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 11 g
Vitamin A 6% Vitamin C 71% Calcium 0% Iron 1%