Mexican Fried Ice Cream is usually eaten only in restaurants. Itís not difficult to make at home, however, and will be a great success as long as the ice cream balls are frozen solid. When itís time to serve dessert, they take only 1-2 minutes in the deep fryer before getting drizzled with caramel and chocolate toppings, whipped cream, and a cherry. Iíve included links to my favorite caramel and chocolate toppings, but if youíre in a hurry, you may substitute high-quality store bought toppings. I think youíll agree, this is a dessert to impress!
Mexican Fried Ice Cream
1 1/2 quarts highest quality vanilla ice cream
4 cups cornflakes
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
Vegetable oil for frying
1/2 cup Decadent Caramel Sauce or Basic Caramel Sauce
1/2 cup Decadent Chocolate Truffle Sauce or Hot Fudge Topping
2 cups sweetened whipped cream
8 maraschino cherries, with stems
- Scoop 8 equal size balls from the ice cream (about 3/4 cup each).
- Transfer the balls to a parchment-lined baking sheet and put them in the freezer until frozen solid, several hours or overnight.
- Place the cornflakes in a Ziploc-type bag, seal the bag, and coarsely crush with a rolling pin.
- Pour the crushed cornflakes onto a large plate and add the cinnamon and sugar; mix well.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and beat them with a fork.
- Remove the ice cream balls from the freezer.
- Dip each ball in the beaten egg, then roll in the crumbs.
- Press the crumbs into the balls with your hands.
- Dip the coated balls into the egg mixture a second time and roll them in the crumbs.
- Place the coated balls back on the baking sheet and return them to the freezer for at least 8 hours or until they are frozen solid.
- Once the balls are frozen solid, they may be placed in a sealed freezer bag and kept frozen for up to two months.
- When ready to serve, preheat the deep fryer to 400į.
- Place the ice cream balls in the hot oil, 2 or 3 at a time, turning occasionally until they are crisp, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove to a paper-towel lined baking sheet to drain.
- To serve: place a fried ice cream ball in a serving bowl, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of caramel topping, then chocolate topping.
- Add a scoop of whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 494 Calories from Fat 204
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 41% Protein 7% Carb. 51%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 23 g
Saturated Fat 12 g
Cholesterol 115 mg
Sodium 140 mg
Total Carbohydrate 63 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 6 g
Protein 9 g
Vitamin A 18% Vitamin C 16% Calcium 0% Iron 7%