Using frozen vegetables, which are readily available at most local grocery stores, makes it easy to cut down on preparation time by taking out the cleaning and cutting process of each separate vegetable. Now many people think that frozen vegetables are not as good as fresh vegetables, but they are actually just as healthy as long as you are familiar with the brand you are purchasing. Lately I’ve been using organic frozen vegetables found at whole foods instead of the more popular brands, simply because of the controversy surrounding where some of these frozen vegetables are produced.
The beef should be lean meaning tenderloin, round, or flank steaks can be used. Also, when slicing the steak make sure to cut it across the grain so that it comes out nice and tender in the final dish.
1.5 lbs. lean beef
¼ tsp garlic salt
12 oz. bag of frozen vegetables
½ cup chicken broth
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp stir fry oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
- Remove any extra fat from the beef and slice it into thin strips about 1 inch to 1½ inches in length. Then place these strips in a bowl and sprinkle them evenly with the garlic salt. Let them marinate at room temperature for about 20 minutes.
- While the meat is marinating, cook the frozen vegetables just until they are warm. This can be done one of two ways. Either microwave them for 2 to 3 minutes on high (the time may vary depending on the type of microwave,) or heat them in a pot on a stove with added water until they are warm.
- Once they are warm, thoroughly drain them, patting them dry if necessary, and set them aside.
- Next, mix the cornstarch with the chicken broth and stir until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Then heat a wok on high and when it is hot add the stir fry oil.
- Once the stir fry oil is hot add the beef and stir fry it for about 3 minutes, or just until it is cooked through and still slightly pink in the center.
- Next add the vegetables and soy sauce and stir fry for another minute. Then add the cornstarch/chicken broth mixture and stir until the sauce thickens. When it thickens, serve immediately. This makes 3 servings of beef stir fry and is delicious served on top of white steamed rice. Quick and easy cooking tip - use 90 second microwaveable rice if you are in a hurry, enjoy.