The great thing about both pork and cucumber is that they each have such light and mild flavor that they soak up other flavors easily. Part of the flavor in this recipe comes from Hokan Stir Fry Oil which is a seasoned stir fry oil. Seasoned stir fry oils already have the flavors of garlic, onion and ginger infused in them. The Hokan oil in this recipe consists of a mixture of soy bean oil and peanut oil infused with garlic, onion, and ginger. This oil in combination with the soy and oyster sauce gives this dish a wonderful and delightful flavor. Please let me know what you think by posting a comment in the Chinese food forum. Enjoy!
2 lbs of lean pork
2 large cucumbers
¼ tsp salt
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
1 egg white
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp seasoned stir fry oil
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp seasoned stir fry oil
5 tbsp soy sauce
2½ tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sugar
2 tsp cornstarch
- Remove all the fat from the pork, dice it into small ½ inch cubes, and put it in a container to be marinated.
- Marinate the pork in steps by first adding the salt, soy sauce, and vinegar and stir.
- Next add the egg white and slowly stir to coat each piece without frothing the egg.
- Then with your finger tips sprinkle on the cornstarch, coating each piece.
- Add the oil and stir, and let sit at room temp for 20-30 min.
- While the pork is marinating, peel and dice the cucumber into ½ inch cubes as well.
- Mix together the cucumber marinade and pour over the cucumbers and let them sit until needed.
- Once the pork has marinated, bring a pot of water to boil so that we can velvet the meat. To velvet, we simply want to drop the meat in once the water boils and let it cook for just 1 minute. Just until it turns white. We don’t want to overcook it.
- Remove the meat from the pot with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- In a non stick pot or wok, heat the stir fry oil on high. Add pork and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cucumber with the marinade and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, vinegar, oyster sauce, and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve and then add it to the pot. Stir until thick.
- Serve with white steamed rice. Makes about 4 servings.