Of course sliced strawberries can be substituted for the raspberries, but raspberries are generally a deeper color of red and therefore look more festive for this fun summer holiday. These crepes are also suitable for a fun Fourth of July brunch, and they are fancy enough for dessert at a formal dinner party. The crepes can be easily warmed in the microwave – about 10 seconds each, or 15 seconds for each plate of two. Just make sure you don’t over-nuke them.
1 pint fresh raspberries
1 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
12 8 inch crepes, warmed
3 cups sweetened whipped cream (no frozen whipped topping please)
fresh mint leaves, for garnish, (optional)
- Wash the berries, drain them well, and spread them out on towels to dry.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of each for garnish and mix the remaining with the sugar in a bowl.
- Let the berry mixture sit for 15-20 minutes to dissolve the sugar.
- Assembly: place two crepes on each of six serving plates.
- Divide the berry mixture among the crepes. Roll each crepe up tightly and place them close together in the center of the plate.
- Top decoratively with whipped cream either with a decorating bag or a spoon.
- Sprinkle a few of the reserved berries over the whipped cream.
- Add a sprig of fresh mint if it’s available.
- Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 287 Calories from Fat 132
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 46% Protein 4% Carb. 50%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 15 g
Saturated Fat 9 g
Cholesterol 49 mg
Sodium 86 mg
Total Carbohydrate 36 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 17 g
Protein 3 g
Vitamin A 14% Vitamin C 28% Calcium 0% Iron 2%