This recipe also calls for one pound of shrimp. I used the frozen, pre-cleaned, pre-cooked shrimp because they are quick and easy and require little preparation. They simply need to be defrosted in warm water for about 10 minutes. If you choose to use fresh shrimp, you will need to shell and devein them, rinse them, and then boil them for just a couple minutes until they turn pink. Then they can be added into the stir fry just like the frozen shrimp. Enjoy!
1 lb frozen pre-cooked medium to large sized shrimp
1 lb bag frozen stir fry vegetables (Birds Eye sugar snap pea stir fry works well in this recipe)
1 green onion
3 egg whites
˝ tsp jarred chopped garlic
2 tbsp soy
2 tbsp sherry
1 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 ˝ tbsp cornstarch
- Defrost the shrimp by soaking them in warm water for about 10 minutes. Drain them thoroughly and set them aside.
- Microwave the vegetables on high for about 5 minutes, or just until warm. Then set them aside.
- Rinse and dice the green onion and set aside.
- Crack the eggs and separate the whites pouring them into a small cup or bowl. Set them aside and either discard or save the yolks for a future recipe.
- In a large non stick pot or wok, heat the oil on high. Add the garlic and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Then add the shrimp, vegetables, and soy and stir fry for another minute.
- Add the green onion, sherry, and chicken broth and bring everything to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with just a little water to dissolve. Once everything comes to a boil, add the cornstarch mixture and stir until thick. Then slowly stir in the egg whites, breaking them up slightly until they are cooked. This takes less than a minute.
- Serve with white rice. Makes 4 servings.