¼ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp oil
1 lb lean beef
1 lb bag of frozen broccoli
3 tbsp peanut oil
5 tbsp oyster sauce
½ cup beef broth
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
2 tsp cornstarch
- Remove all of the fat from the beef and cut it into 1 inch by 2 inch thin rectangular slices. Make sure you cut across the grain. This means you want to cut perpendicular to the lines that you can see within the beef.
- Once the slices are cut, place them in a container that has a tight fitting lid and begin to add the marinade in the following steps.
- First sprinkle in the salt and sugar while stirring the meat. Then slowly stir in the sherry.
- Next add the egg white and gently stir to coat each piece making sure not to froth the egg. Frothing the egg will cause the beef to become hard after cooking it. Then sprinkle in the cornstarch coating each piece.
- Finally, add the oil, stir to coat, and cover. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the meat is marinating, microwave the broccoli for about 5 to 7 minutes depending on your microwave. We just want to cook the broccoli until it is warm. Remember, we want it to still be bright and slightly crisp in the final dish. Once it is warm, set it aside.
- After the meat has marinated, we will cook it following the boiling method of the velveting process. Bring pot of water plus one tablespoon of peanut oil to boil.
- Once the water boils slowly add the meat to the pot and cook it for just one minute. Then remove it with a slotted spoon, making sure to drain it thoroughly and to not pick up any of the loose egg that may have floated up to the top of the pot. Place the meat in a bowl or on a plate and set it aside. You may place the meat on a paper towel to soak up the remaining water.
- In a non stick pot or wok heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut oil on high.
- Add the meat, broccoli, and oyster sauce and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Then add the beef broth, sugar, and rice wine vinegar and bring it to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water just until dissolved. Then add this mixture to the pot once it boils and stir until thick.
- Serve with either white or fried rice. Makes 3 servings.