This delicious crumble is actually traditional English Pub food, and will satisfy even the most discriminating armchair quarterback or sports enthusiast. A mix of pears, apples, and candied ginger (which gives it a little sass) is topped with a crumbly crisp topping – mmmmmm! Served warm, room temperature, or cold, there won’t be even a morsel left after the game.
Pears and apples are definitely at their best since they are in season; candied ginger is available in the Asian section of most larger grocery stores and of course at Asian markets.
1 pound ripe pears, (about 3 medium) pared, cored, and sliced
1 pound tart apples, (about 3 medium) pared, cored, and sliced
1/4 cup crystallized ginger, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar (more or less depending on the sweetness of the fruit)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix the pears, apples, ginger, and brown sugar; transfer to a 9 x 9" glass baking dish.
- Mix the brown sugar, flour, and salt; cut in the butter until it looks like coarse crumbs.
- Pour the mixture over the fruit mixture and press down a little.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and the topping is crisp.
- Serve with warm custard or ice cream.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 307 Calories from Fat 109
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 36% Protein 3% Carb. 62%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 12 g
Saturated Fat 7 g
Cholesterol 31 mg
Sodium 416 mg
Total Carbohydrate 47 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 10% Vitamin C 14% Calcium 0% Iron 13%