1 lb lean beef
8 oz frozen stir fry vegetables
2 tsp salt
8 oz pkg wide lo mein noodles
4 tbsp peanut oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
1 tsp brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp sherry
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
½ tbsp oil
- Remove all of the fat from the beef and cut it across the grain into thin 1 ½ inch slices.
- Once the slices are cut, place them in a container with a tight fitting lid and begin to add the marinade in the following steps.
- First sprinkle in the salt and sugar while stirring the meat. Then slowly stir in the sherry.
- Next add the egg white and gently stir to coat each piece making sure not to froth the egg. Frothing the egg will cause the beef to become hard after cooking it.
- Then sprinkle in the cornstarch coating each piece.
- Finally, add the oil, stir to coat, and cover. Let the meat marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- While the meat is marinating microwave the frozen vegetables for 5 minutes or just until warm and then set them aside.
- Next, bring a pot of water with the salt to boil. Once it boils add the noodles and cook them for about 5 minutes or until “al dente.” Drain them in a colander, place them into another bowl and stir in 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil. Then set them aside.
- Using the same pot that was used for the noodles, bring more water to boil with a tablespoon of peanut oil added to it.
- Once the water boils slowly add the meat to the pot and cook it for just one minute. Then remove it with a slotted spoon, making sure to drain it thoroughly and to not pick up any of the loose egg that may have floated up to the top of the pot. Place the meat in a bowl or on a plate and set it aside. You may place the meat on a paper towel to soak up the remaining water.
- In a non stick pot or wok heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of peanut oil on high.
- Add the noodles, soy, teriyaki, and brown sugar and stir fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and meat and stir fry for just one more minute and serve.
- Serve with fried rice. Makes 4 servings