A poke cake sounds just like its name. It is a cake with holes poked into it. The holes allow for a topping to seep in. There are so many variations. It is a great way to be creative. Some options are Jell-O, pudding, syrup, or any other type of liquid you can imagine. The liquid oozing through the cake adds to the taste and texture. This is an extremely moist cake. This cake combines chocolate and caramel. This is a combination that is sure to please. This is a double chocolate dessert with chocolate pudding and caramel seeping into a chocolate cake. This dessert cannot get any easier. I used a cake mix and instant pudding. But that does not mean you have to. If you have a favorite cake from scratch, bake it.
Caramel & Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe
Box of devilís food chocolate cake mix, prepared
35 wrapped caramels
1/2 can of evaporated milk
Large package of instant chocolate pudding (it is the size for 6 1/2 servings)
1 (8 oz.) container of Cool Whip or other whipped topping
1. Bake cake according to directions on box using a 9 x 13 pan.
2. 10 minutes before the cake is finished baking unwrap and add the 35 caramels and evaporated milk to a small sauce pan.
3. Heat over low heat until completely melted, occasionally stirring.
4. Prepare the pudding according to the instructions on the box.
5. When the cake comes out of oven poke holes in it. I did allow the cake to cool for about 5 minutes before doing so. I used the back of a wooden spoon to poke many holes.
6. Pour the caramel over the entire cake; be sure to pour it into the holes.
7. Pour about 1 cup of the pudding over the cake, also allowing it to seep into the holes of the cake.
8. Add the entire tub of cool whip to the remaining pudding and fold in.
9. Spread this whipped topping on the cake. There will be a lot of this, so you can be generous.
10. Immediately put in the refrigerator to set for at least an hour. I made it the night before I needed it.
Enjoy and sweeten the soul with chocolate!