This is a fun snack to feature on the Halloween “BOO-ffet” table, especially when it’s served in a witch’s cauldron or cute lined Halloween basket. It makes perfect party favors when packaged in cellophane bags tied with orange and black ribbon.
This recipe makes a lot (32 cups), so there will be plenty to deliver to friends and neighbors. It’s a perfect treat to take to a Halloween party or fall gathering, and even though 32 cups seems like a lot, it will disappear quickly. Monster Mix keeps well in an airtight container, so it can be made a week or two ahead; just make sure it’s well-hidden from those possessing a sweet tooth or it will be necessary to make it again before Halloween.
Makes 32 cups
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup butter
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups small pretzel twists
4 cups roasted peanuts
6 cups Corn Chex cereal
3 cups powdered sugar
1 11 oz. package candy corn
1 11 oz. package Mellocream Pumpkins
1 16 oz. package Reeses's Pieces
1 12 oz. package orange and black gumdrops
1 12 oz. package jelly pumpkins
- Melt the chocolate chips, butter, and peanut butter in the microwave, stirring every minute or so until smooth.
- Mix the pretzel twists, roasted peanuts, and Corn chex in a large bowl.
- Pour the chocolate mixtre over the pretzel mixture and stir until all is well-coated.
- Measure the powdered sugar in a large paper bag.
- Pour the mixture into the bag and fold the top down several times.
- Transfer the mixture to two or three large baking sheets to dry for an hour or two.
- Mix with the packages of Halloween candy.
- Store in an airtight container.
Shake the bag for several minutes so that the chocolate pieces are thoroughly coated.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 313 Calories from Fat 115
Percent Total Calories From:
Fat 37% Protein 7% Carb. 56%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 13 g
Saturated Fat 5 g
Cholesterol 4 mg
Sodium 235 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 18 g
Protein 6 g
Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 4% Calcium 0% Iron 5%